Cellulite is a condition in which the skin appears to have areas with underlying fat deposits. This tends to give skin a lumpy and dimpled appearance. The condition is most noticeable on the thighs and buttocks. Clinically known as adiposis edematosa, cellulite is believed to be caused by factors such as hormonal changes, genetics, diet, lifestyle factors and even clothing.
Some consider laser treatment as a more permanent solution, but this can be a real burden on your wallet. So, many people settle for a more cost effective option of using firming creams instead.
Your Complete Guide to Body Firming Creams
What do skin firming creams do?
Body firming creams come with the promise of erasing signs of aging and tightening the skin. But to do so, they need to have some specific ingredients with skin firming qualities. Some of the key ingredients to look for in these products can include the following:
- Coenzyme Q10is an active ingredient that demonstrates the ability to penetrate deep into the skin’s layers. It also helps boost the production of collagen and elastin, both of which can help improve the appearance and suppleness of skin.
- Fruits extractsare full of essential nutrients that can help revitalize skin. These extracts also have moisturizing properties that prevent the skin from drying out and help keep its resilience.
- Wakame seaweedis loaded with antioxidants, vitamins and proteins. Together these properties help fight skin aging. This marine plant reinforces cell membranes and reverses cell damage that often leads to the appearance of cellulite.
- Retinolis a derivative of vitamin A and helps boost collagen production. It also thickens skin which helps make cellulite less visible.
- Niacinamidehas been studied to boost the skin’s immunity, improve the epidermal barrier performance, and minimize lines and wrinkles. Together these actions can make skin appear smoother and suppler.
- Water is moisture, and moisturizing is key to youthful looking skin. Any effective skin firming formula needs to have water as one of its main ingredients.
How do firming creams work?
Firming creams work to target skin aspects giving it resilience, support and suppleness. These features allow the skin to regain its “bounce” and retain a smoother appearance.
Different firming and cellulite creams use a variety of ingredients to improve the appearance of skin. Some tighten outer layers on the surface while others plump up the same so that skin appears smoother. Yet others use skin stimulating ingredients to boost lymph and blood flow. These features can also help achieve a firmer looking complexion.
A newer technology in cosmetics known as nanotechnology is increasingly becoming the core of skin treatments such as firming. This is a micro-capsule technology where active ingredients are encapsulated and released gradually to target problem areas. Nanoparticles or nanosomes have unique properties that can deliver longer lasting results when treating issues like cellulite.
For the most part, nanomaterials used in cosmetics aim at UV filtering and delivery of active ingredients. While UV filtering is more applicable to the use of sunscreens, delivery of active ingredients is more applicable to skin firming creams. Nanosomes have a stronger capability to penetrate the epidermis. This allows active ingredients to be delivered under the epidermis where cellulite fat deposition rests.
This cellulite fighting technology also decreases the chance of skin irritation. Active ingredients, while being effective can also occasionally cause skin irritation. But when encapsulated, these ingredients reduce skin irritation dramatically.
In addition, the stability of active ingredients is also improved. Nanosome technology prevents the degradation of active ingredients on the skin and in the body. Instead, a more ideal concentration and efficiency of the ingredients is held for a longer time. This helps yield long lasting effects.
This product uses nanosome technology with a number of active ingredients that target cellulite deposition. Oligo.DX is available as a gel formula and holds the potential to penetrate deep into the skin. Deep penetration allows nanosomes to merge with cellular tissues, releasing ingredients slowly.
The combination of active ingredients provide the following benefits to skin:
- Caffeine acts as a vasoconstrictor, diuretic and antioxidant all in one. When used in cellulite treatments, it has a dehydrating effect on fat cells. This helps in making the skin appear firmer and more even.
- Hydrolyzed casein is a milk derivative with strong film forming and tightening properties.
- Butcherbroom root extract has potential to promote muscle contractions surrounding blood vessels. This helps promote blood flow and enhance the skin’s elasticity.
- Tea-Hydroiodide is a water soluble organic iodine compound. It stimulates lipase activity and reduces stubborn cellulite.
- Carnitine works by the science of thermogenics helping turn body fat into energy.
- Escin helps protect and tone veins and boost microcirculation.
- Nelumbo Nucifera leaf extract provides purifying, exfoliating and tightening properties to skin.
- Hedera Helix extract offers medicinal properties including tightening and strengthening blood vessels.
- Tripeptide-1 is an amino acid that helps improve skin condition while giving it a smoother appearance.
How to get the most out of firming creams?
While every firming cream comes with its own set of ingredients and specific skin targets, the one thing all products agree upon is consistent use. It is important to use these products regularly in order to see long term benefits.
Along with choosing the right product, you should also have an established routine of applying the product. For instance, firming products need two applications daily. Apply once in the morning and then at night for the product to do its promised share of the work. You may have to wait anywhere from six to eight weeks to see noticeable results
Even though deciding on the perfect body firming cream may be a bit of a debate, you should find a product that comes with plenty of reviews. Pair up regular use with massaging techniques. This will allow nutrients and oxygen to feed cellular activity which will help in reducing the appearance of cellulite.